You are here
- Home >
- Elizabeth M. Yu, MD
Elizabeth M. Yu, MD
- Assistant Professor-Clinical, Orthopaedics
- Physician, FGP-Orthopaedics
376 W 10th Ave
Columbus, OH 43210
Medical School: Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri, 2006
Residency: Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Orthopedic Surgery, Rochester, Minnesota, 2011
Fellowship: Stanford University/San Francisco Combined Spine Fellowship, Palo Alto/San Francisco, California, 2012
Clinical Interests: Degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, spinal stenosis, degenerative scoliosis, spondylolisthesis, kyphosis, minimally invasive spine surgery, spinal deformity surgery, reconstruction of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine, spinal trauma, fractures, tumors and infections.
Research Interests: Biomechanics of the spine, dynamic stabilization, and fracture fixation, intervertebral disc degeneration.
Notes: Dr. Yu joined the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at The Ohio State University Medical Center in October 2012. She is an Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at The Ohio State University College of Medicine. Her clinical interests include the management of all forms of adult spinal disorders including adult degenerative disorders and spinal deformity surgery. Dr. Yu has also been active in the area of research in orthopeadics.
Top 20 under 40 Years of Age Spine Care Providers.
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Achievement Award.
Best Paper/Presentation at SOLAS.
340 Spine Surgeons to Know – 2017.
Best Research Award.
38 Female Spine Surgeon Leaders to Know – 2016..
334 spine surgeons to know — 2016.
Recognized Nationally amongst the Top 10 Percentage for Patient Satisfaction at Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State University; Top 10 Percent Nationally Ranked CGCAHPS Patient Satisfaction Scores – FY2014-2015.
Mark B. Coventry Clinical Research Award Participant.
Mark B. Coventry Clinical Research Award Participant.
Best Resident Presentation.
Alumni Distinguished Student Award.
Donald W. Bussmann Award.
National Honor Medical Society.
National Jesuit Honor Society.
Glasgow-Rubin Achievement Citation.
Excellence in Teaching Certificate.
Howard Hughes Research Grant.
- 2018. "Thoracic Herniated Nucleus Pulposus." In Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery: Surgical Techniques and Disease Management, edited by Phillips, F.,
- 2015. "Clinical Results of the IDE Trial of X-stop Interspinous Systems." In Dynamic Reconstruction of the Spine, edited by Kim D and Sengupta DK,
- 2014. "Spine Trauma." In AAOS Comprehensive Orthopaedic Review, edited by Boyer, Martin I,
- 2012. "Management of Cervical Facet Dislocation." In Essentials of Spinal Cord Injury: Basic Research to Clinical Practice, edited by Fehlings MG and Vaccarro AR,
- 2010. "Management of Cervical Facet Disloation: Anterior Versus Posterior Approach." In Controversies in Spine Surgery: Best Evidence Recommendations, edited by Vaccaro AR and Eck JC,
- Malik, A.; Jain, N.; Kim, J.; Khan, S. et al., 2018, "Sexual activity after spine surgery: a systematic review." EUROPEAN SPINE JOURNAL
- Jain, N.; Yu, E., 2018, "Lumbar intervertebral disc herniation masquerading as an epidural hematoma: Case Report and Review of Literature." Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery: Case Connector
- Sud, S.; Stammen, K.; Yu, E.; Khan, S., 2017, "Cervical fracture patterns associated with vertebral artery injuries." Current Orthopaedic Practice 28, no. 1,
- Jain, N.; Virk, S.S.; Phillips, F.M.; Yu, E. et al., 2017, "A 90-day Bundled Payment for Primary Single-level Lumbar Discectomy/Decompression: What Does “Big Data” Say?." Clinical Spine Surgery
- Hohn, E.; Chu, B.; Martin, A.; Yu, E. et al., 2017, "The pedicles are not the densest regions of the lumbar vertebrae: implications for bone quality assessment and surgical treatment strategy." Global Spine Journal
- Virk, S.; Yu, E., 2017, "The Top 50 Articles on Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery." Spine 42, no. 7, 513-519 - 513-519.
- Virk, S.; Yu, E., 2017, "Spinal implant options to optimize fixation in patients with osteopenia/osteoporosis." Seminars in Spine Surgery
- Jain, N.; Yu, E.M., 2017, "Intraoperative Radiographic Technique for Visualization of Bicortical or Tricortical Anteromedial Sacral Screw Placement." Clin Spine Surg
- Badlani, N.; Yu, E.; Kurd, M.; Khan, S., 2016, "Minimally Invasive/Less Invasive Microdiscectomy." Clinical Spine Surgery 29, no. 3,
- Yu, E.M.; Nosova, E.V.; Falkenstein, Y.; Prasad, P. et al., 2016, "Validation of a Russian Language Oswestry Disability Index Questionnaire." Global Spine Journal 6, no. 7, 636-639 - 636-639.
- Rauck, R.; Stammen, K.; Yu, E.; Khan, S., 2016, "Novel intraoperative technique to visualize the lower cervical spine: A case series." Am J Orthop 45, no. 2,
- Rauck RC, Fisk E, Stammen KL, Yu E, Khan SN., 2016, "Reamer Irrigator Aspirator (RIA) for bone graft harvest in complex spine surgery." Curr Orthop Pract 27, no. 5, 564-569 - 564-569.
- Yu, E.; Romero, N.; Miles, T.; Hsu, S. et al., 2016, "Dyspnea as the Presenting Symptoms of Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy." The Surgery Journal 2, no. 4, 147-150 - 147-150.
- Zarrabian, M.M.; Diehn, F.E.; Kotsenas, A.L.; Wald, J.T. et al., 2016, "Dorsal Lumbar Disc Migrations with Lateral and Ventral Epidural Extension on Axial MRI: A Case Series and Review of the Literature." American Journal of Neuroradiology 37, no. 11, 2171-2177 - 2171-2177.
- Yu, E.; Khan, S., 2014, "Does less invasive spine surgery result in increased radiation exposure? A systematic review.." Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 472, no. 6,
- Virk, S.; Niedermeier, S.; Yu, E.; Khan, S., 2014, "Adjacent segment disease.." Orthopedics 37, no. 8,
- Iyore, James, Moukalled A, Yu E, Tulman DB, Bergese SD, Jones CD, Stawicki SP, Evans DC, 2014, "A systematic review of the need for MRI for the clearance of cervical spine injury in obtunded blunt trauma patients after normal cervical spine CT." J Emerg Trauma Shock 7, 251-5 - 251-5.
- Dodwad, S.; Niedermeier, S.; Yu, E.; Klineberg, E. et al., 2013, "The Morel-Lavalle lesion revisited: Management in spinopelvic dissociation." Spine Journal e-pub,
- Larson, A.; Sierra, R.; Yu, E.; Trousdale, R. et al., 2012, "Outcomes of Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis Treated With In Situ Pinning." JOURNAL OF PEDIATRIC ORTHOPAEDICS 32, no. 2,
- Larson, A.; Yu, E.; Melton, J.; Peterson, H. et al., 2010, "The Incidence of Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis: A Population Based Study." British Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 19, no. 1,
- Yu,Elizabeth; Cil,Akin; Harmsen,William,Scott; Schleck,Cathy; Sperling,John,W; Cofield,Robert,H, 2010, "Arthroscopy and the Dramatic Increase in Frequency of Anterior Acromioplasty from 1980 to 2005: An Epidemiologic Study." Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic Related Surgery 26, no. 9, S142-7 - S142-7.
- "Periprosthetic Infection with Propionibacterium Acnes: Different From Conventional Arthroplasty Infection." 2009, Presented at Musculoskeletal Infection Society,
- "Periprosthetic Infection with Propionibacterium acnes: Different from Conventional Arthroplasty Infection." 2010, Presented at American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons,
- "Periprosthetic Infection with Propionibacterium acnes: Different from Conventional Arthroplasty Infection." 2010, Presented at Mid-America Orthopaedic Association,
- "Epidemiology of Anterior Acromioplasty 1980 to 2005." 2009, Presented at Mid-America Orthopaedic Association,
- "Outcome of Prosthetic Joint Infections Due to Propionibacterium Acnes." 2009, Presented at Minnesota Orthopaedic Society,
- "Arthroscopy and the Dramatic Increase in Frequency of Anterior Acriomiopalsty." 2009, Presented at Minnesota Orthopaedic Society,
- "Arthroscopy and the Dramatic Increase in Frequency of Anterior Acromioplasty: 1980 to 2005." 2009, Presented at European Shoulder and Elbow Society,
- "Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis: Should the Contralateral Hip Be Pinned? A Population-Based Study." 2008, Presented at Minnesota Orthopaedic Society,
- "Arthroscopy and the Dramatic Increase in Frequency of Anterior Acromioplasty: 1980 to 2005." 2009, Presented at Closed Meeting of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons,
- "Prophylactic muscle flap reconstruction in complex degenerative spine surgery." 2018, Presented at The International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine,
- "Early healthcare utilization after primary lumbar decompression/discectomy predicts revision surgery at two year." 2018, Presented at The International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine,
- "Impact of Body Mass Index on Severity of Cervical Spine Fracture." 2018, Presented at International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery,
- "Impact of smoking on two level anterior cervical diskectomy and fusion: a retrospective study." 2017, Presented at American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress,
- "A Biomechanical Analysis of Lateral Interbody Implants and Supplemental Fixation in Adjacent Segment Disease." 2017, Presented at Society of Lateral Access Surgeons,
- "The Effect of Smoking on Two-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF): Preliminary Results." 2017, Presented at Internal Society of Advancement of Spine Surgery,
- "90-Day Bundled Payment for Primary Single Level Lumbar Discectomy/Decompression: What Does Big Data Say?." 2017, Presented at Lumbar Spine Research Society,
- "A Biomechanical Analysis of Lateral Interbody Implants and Supplemental Fixation in Adjacent Segment Disease." 2017, Presented at International Society for Minimal Intervention in Spinal Surgery,
- "Development of a Spine Surgical Skills Assessment of Orthopaedic Surgery Residents." 2017, Presented at Mid-America Orthopaedic Association,
- "The Effect of Smoking on Two-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF): Preliminary Results." 2016, Presented at Mid-American Orthopaedic Association,
- "The Effect of Smoking on Two-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF): Preliminary Results." 2016, Presented at Mid-America Orthopaedic Association,
- "Back Pain: No One is Immune." 2017, Presented at Advancing Orthopaedic Medicine Event,