You are here
- Home >
- Devina Purmessur, Ph.D.
Devina Purmessur, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering
401 Bevis Hall
1080 Carmack Rd
Columbus, OH 43210
Dr. Purmessur is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at The Ohio State University. Within the SRI, Dr. Purmessur collaborates closely with the Executive and Scientific Director Dr. Marras and orthopedic surgeons Dr. Khan and Lu to investigate the neuro-inflammatory causal pathways underlying discogenic back pain so as to identify targeted treatment strategies. Dr. Purmessur graduated from the University of Sheffield, UK with a BS in Medical Biochemistry followed by an MS in Immunology and Allergy from the University of Nottingham. She conducted her doctoral work (BBSRC Case industrial studentship with Pfizer plc) under the supervision of Professors Hoyland, PhD and Freemont, MD in Molecular Pathology at the University of Manchester where she examined the interactions between intervertebral disc (IVD) and neuronal cells, and the role of neurotrophins in disc disease. Dr. Purmessur went on to perform her postdoctoral work in the Bioengineering laboratories of Professor Iatridis, PhD at the University of Vermont and Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, NY exploring structure (stem cell and disc cell) and symptom (neurovascular cell) modifying based strategies for regeneration of the IVD with developmental notochordal derived stimulants as well as developing whole IVD inflammatory organ culture models and an in vivo model of discogenic back pain. Dr. Purmessur’s laboratory focuses on understanding the biochemical, biomechanical, and cellular mechanisms underlying pathophysiology in discogenic back pain with translation from 2D through to 3D and in-vivo models. Dr. Purmessur makes significant contributions within the IVD/Spine and Orthopedic communities and recently served as the Young Investigator Member-at-large on the Orthopedic Research Society Board of Directors (2013-2015). In 2013 Dr. Purmessur was awarded the Arnold and Madaleine Penner 2nd Annual Musculoskeletal Repair and Regeneration Symposium Young Investigator Award. Dr. Purmessur has published over 50 peer-reviewed research articles and abstracts.
- Wiet, M.G.; Piscioneri, A.; Khan, S.N.; Ballinger, M.N. et al., 2017, "Mast Cell-Intervertebral disc cell interactions regulate inflammation, catabolism and angiogenesis in Discogenic Back Pain.." Sci Rep 7, no. 1, 12492 - 12492.
- Lai,Alon; Moon,Andrew; Purmessur,Devina; Skovrlj,Branko; Laudier,Damien,M; Winkelstein,Beth,A; Cho,Samuel,K; Hecht,Andrew,C; Iatridis,James,C, 2016, "Annular puncture with tumor necrosis factor-alpha injection enhances painful behavior with disc degeneration in vivo." SPINE JOURNAL 16, no. 3, 420-431 - 420-431.
- Walter,B,A; Purmessur,D; Moon,A; Occhiogrosso,J; Laudier,D,M; Hecht,A,C; Iatridis,J,C, 2016, "REDUCED TISSUE OSMOLARITY INCREASES TRPV4 EXPRESSION AND PRO-INFLAMMATORY CYTOKINES IN INTERVERTEBRAL DISC CELLS." EUROPEAN CELLS & MATERIALS 32, 123-136 - 123-136.
- Purmessur,Devina; Cornejo,Marisa,C; Cho,Samuel,K; Roughley,Peter,J; Linhardt,Robert,J; Hecht,Andrew,C; Iatridis,James,C, 2015, "Intact glycosaminoglycans from intervertebral disc-derived notochordal cell-conditioned media inhibit neurite growth while maintaining neuronal cell viability." SPINE JOURNAL 15, no. 5, 1060-1069 - 1060-1069.
- Lai,Alon; Moon,Andrew; Purmessur,Devina; Skovrlj,Branko; Winkelstein,Beth,A; Cho,Samuel,K; Hecht,Andrew,C; Iatridis,James,C, 2015, "Assessment of Functional and Behavioral Changes Sensitive to Painful Disc Degeneration." JOURNAL OF ORTHOPAEDIC RESEARCH 33, no. 5, 755-764 - 755-764.
- Cornejo,M,C; Cho,S,K; Giannarelli,C; Iatridis,J,C; Purmessur,D, 2015, "Soluble factors from the notochordal-rich intervertebral disc inhibit endothelial cell invasion and vessel formation in the presence and absence of pro-inflammatory cytokines." OSTEOARTHRITIS AND CARTILAGE 23, no. 3, 487-496 - 487-496.
- Lu,Young; Guzman,Javier,Z; Purmessur,Devina; Iatridis,James,C; Hecht,Andrew,C; Qureshi,Sheeraz,A; Cho,Samuel,K, 2014, "Nonoperative Management of Discogenic Back Pain A Systematic Review." SPINE 39, no. 16, 1314-1324 - 1314-1324.
- Guterl,Clare,C; Torre,Olivia,M; Purmessur,Devina; Dave,Khyati; Likhitpanichkul,Morakot; Hecht,Andrew,C; Nicoll,Steven,B; Iatridis,James,C, 2014, "Characterization of Mechanics and Cytocompatibility of Fibrin-Genipin Annulus Fibrosus Sealant with the Addition of Cell Adhesion Molecules." TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A 20, no. 17-18, 2536-2545 - 2536-2545.
- Illien-Juenger,Svenja; Lu,Young; Purmessur,Devina; Mayer,Jillian,E; Walter,Benjamin,A; Roughley,Peter,J; Qureshi,Sheeraz,A; Hecht,Andrew,C; Iatridis,James,C, 2014, "Detrimental effects of discectomy on intervertebral disc biology can be decelerated by growth factor treatment during surgery: a large animal organ culture model." SPINE JOURNAL 14, no. 11, 2724-2732 - 2724-2732.
- Purmessur,D; Cornejo,M,C; Cho,S,K; Hecht,A,C; Iatridis,J,C, 2013, "Notochordal cell-derived therapeutic strategies for discogenic back pain.." Global spine journal 3, no. 3, 201-218 - 201-218.
- Purmessur,Devina; Guterl,Clare,C; Cho,Samuel,K; Cornejo,Marisa,C; Lam,Ying,W; Ballif,Bryan,A; Laudier,Damien,M; Iatridis,James,C, 2013, "Dynamic pressurization induces transition of notochordal cells to a mature phenotype while retaining production of important patterning ligands from development." ARTHRITIS RESEARCH & THERAPY 15, no. 5, R122 - R122.
- Abbott,Rosalyn,Delia; Purmessur,Devina; Monsey,Robert,Daniel; Iatridis,James,Christopher, 2012, "Regenerative potential of TGF beta 3 + Dex and notochordal cell conditioned media on degenerated human intervertebral disc cells." JOURNAL OF ORTHOPAEDIC RESEARCH 30, no. 3, 482-488 - 482-488.
- Richardson,Stephen,M; Purmessur,Devina; Baird,Pauline; Probyn,Ben; Freemont,Anthony,J; Hoyland,Judith,A, 2012, "Degenerate Human Nucleus Pulposus Cells Promote Neurite Outgrowth in Neural Cells." PLOS ONE 7, no. 10, e47735 - e47735.
- Purmessur,Devina; Schek,Rachel,M; Abbott,Rosalyn,D; Ballif,Bryan,A; Godburn,Karolyn,E; Iatridis,James,C, 2011, "Notochordal conditioned media from tissue increases proteoglycan accumulation and promotes a healthy nucleus pulposus phenotype in human mesenchymal stem cells." ARTHRITIS RESEARCH & THERAPY 13, no. 3, R81 - R81.
- Iatridis,James,C; Michalek,A,J; Purmessur,D; Korecki,C,L, 2009, "Localized Intervertebral Disc Injury Leads to Organ Level Changes in Structure, Cellularity, and Biosynthesis." CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BIOENGINEERING 2, no. 3, 437-447 - 437-447.
- Purmessur,Devina; Freemont,Anthony,J; Hoyland,Judith,A, 2008, "Expression and regulation of neurotrophins in the nondegenerate and degenerate human intervertebral disc." ARTHRITIS RESEARCH & THERAPY 10, no. 4, R99 - R99.
- Purmessur,D; Hoyland,J,A; Freemont,A,J, 2006, "Disc cell/neural cell interactions in the intervertebral disc (IVD) and their role in degeneration of the IVD." JOURNAL OF PATHOLOGY 210, 25-25 - 25-25.
- Parker,S,M; Purmessur,D; Millward-Sadler,S,J; LeMaitre,C,L; Freemont,A,J; Hoyland,J,A, 2006, "The identification of large conductance potassium (MaxiK) channels in human intervertebral disc (IVD) cells." JOURNAL OF PATHOLOGY 210, 24-24 - 24-24.
- Palacio-Mancheno, P.E.; Evashwick-Rogler, T.W.; Laudier, D.M.; Purmessur, D. et al., "Hyperosmolarity induces notochordal cell differentiation with aquaporin3 upregulation and reduced N-cadherin expression." Journal of Orthopaedic Research
- Walter, B.A.; Purmessur, D.; Moon, A.; Occhiogrosso, J. et al., "Reduced tissue osmolarity increases TRPV4 expression and pro-inflammatory cytokines in intervertebral disc cells.." Eur Cell Mater 32, 123-136 - 123-136.
- Marras, W.S.; Walter, B.A.; Purmessur, D.; Mageswaran, P. et al., "The Contribution of Biomechanical-Biological Interactions of the Spine to Low Back Pain.." Hum Factors 58, no. 7, 965-975 - 965-975.