You are here
- Home >
- Benjamin Walter
Benjamin Walter, PhD
- Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering
1080 Carmack Road
Columbus, OH 43210
Dr. Benjamin Walter is a Post-Doctural Researcher in the Spine Research Institute. Within the SRI, Ben’s research focuses on how changes in intervertebral disc biomechanics, which occur with disease, influence the cellular response to physiologic loading. He received his PhD in Biomedical Engineering from The City College of New York and conducted his doctoral research at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City. Ben received his B.S. (2008) and M.S. (2010) in Biomedical Engineering from Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology and the University of Vermont, respectively. His background is in whole IVD organ culture and cell culture models of intervertebral disc degeneration, with an emphasis on how inflammation contributes to altered disc mechanical behavior and mechanotransduction.
- Nakazawa, K.R.; Walter, B.A.; Laudier, D.M.; Krishnamoorthy, D. et al., 2018, "Accumulation and localization of macrophage phenotypes with human intervertebral disc degeneration.." Spine J 18, no. 2, 343-356 - 343-356.
- Le, P.; Aurand, A.; Walter, B.A.; Best, T.M. et al., 2018, "Development of a lumbar EMG-based coactivation index for the assessment of complex dynamic tasks.." Ergonomics 61, no. 3, 381-389 - 381-389.
- Walter, B.A.; Mageswaran, P.; Mo, X.; Boulter, D.J. et al., 2017, "MR Elastography-derived Stiffness: A Biomarker for Intervertebral Disc Degeneration.." Radiology 285, no. 1, 167-175 - 167-175.
- Likhitpanichkul, M.; Torre, O.M.; Gruen, J.; Walter, B.A. et al., 2016, "Do mechanical strain and TNF-α interact to amplify pro-inflammatory cytokine production in human annulus fibrosus cells?." J Biomech 49, no. 7, 1214-1220 - 1214-1220.
- Walter, B.A.; Likhitpanichkul, M.; Illien-Junger, S.; Roughley, P.J. et al., 2015, "TNFα transport induced by dynamic loading alters biomechanics of intact intervertebral discs.." PLoS One 10, no. 3, e0118358 - e0118358.
- Walter, B.A.; Torre, O.M.; Laudier, D.; Naidich, T.P. et al., 2015, "Form and function of the intervertebral disc in health and disease: a morphological and stain comparison study.." J Anat 227, no. 6, 707-716 - 707-716.
- Likhitpanichkul, M.; Dreischarf, M.; Illien-Junger, S.; Walter, B.A. et al., 2014, "Fibrin-genipin adhesive hydrogel for annulus fibrosus repair: performance evaluation with large animal organ culture, in situ biomechanics, and in vivo degradation tests.." Eur Cell Mater 28, 25-37 - 25-37.
- Walter, B.A.; Illien-Jünger, S.; Nasser, P.R.; Hecht, A.C. et al., 2014, "Development and validation of a bioreactor system for dynamic loading and mechanical characterization of whole human intervertebral discs in organ culture.." J Biomech 47, no. 9, 2095-2101 - 2095-2101.
- Iatridis, J.C.; Nicoll, S.B.; Michalek, A.J.; Walter, B.A. et al., 2013, "Role of biomechanics in intervertebral disc degeneration and regenerative therapies: what needs repairing in the disc and what are promising biomaterials for its repair?." Spine J 13, no. 3, 243-262 - 243-262.