Current standard-of-care diagnostic techniques rely primarily on static imaging (X-Ray, CT, MRI) of a patient while they are lying in a recumbent position. However, spine tissues behave differently when they are supporting loads due to gravity and motion. Our personalized biomechanical models integrate the information collected from our Clinical LMM Evaluation with CT and MR imaging data to essentially construct a dynamic MR of the patient's spine. These models can evaluate person-specific forces on various pain sensing tissues, and can help physicians identify the root of the problem during natural dynamic motions.
The following personalized dynamic model is an example of a functional diagnostic. These models account for patient-specific:
- Morphology (shape of spinal structures)
- Kinematics (how you move)
- Kinetics (gravity, momentum)
- Muscle recruitment and force
- Ligament and bone-on-bone contact forces
- Disc deformation and bulging